Georgioupolis in ancient times.
The history of the town dates back to Minoan times. Excavations a few kilometers to the south revealed many findings of Minoan and Roman origin. The site of the ancient Roman city Amphimalla, which was the harbor town of ancient Lappa (nowadays’ Argyroupoli) was also discovered here. Most of the artifacts found here are at display in the Archaeological Museum of Chania.
In the Venetian Period (1204-1645) the area and the town developed and even a fortress was built to protect it. In these years the art of both viniculture and beekeeping were already well mastered and they were an important source of income as they are until today. During this period the village carried the name Chrissopoli, meaning gold town. The fortress got destroyed during the Ottoman Occupation (1645-1898) only to be rebuilt later. Now it’s reduced to a very small and hardly traceable ruin.